Monday, January 25, 2010

Cormier In a Corner and Turn Down Turco!!


On My Mind

What is up with the Boston Bruins? 2-7-1 in their past 10 games and not looking like that trend is going to change anytime soon with a 5-1 loss against the Hurricanes (who have been playing better for the past week or so). For the past 2 or 3 years I believed this team was on the cusp of competing for the Stanley Cup only to have their chances crushed by injuries. In addition, I figured Boston would win the Northeast Division again this year and actually make some noise in the playoffs, especially after last years playoff dissapointment. It is true that they have missed Savard and Lucic for long stretches this season, which has hurt them, as they are very important components, however, I think the regression of youngsters Wideman (26), Wheeler (23), and Krejci (23) have hurt them more. I expected a continued upward trajectory statistically with these three. Wideman was counted on to be Chara's right hand man on defense and Wheeler and Krejci were supposed to ease the loss of Kessel. None of this has happened and I find it unfortunate and surprising. In addition, with Tim Thomas being nowhere near his Vezina winning stats of last year, they haven't had their starter stealing games like he has the previous couple of years. I have never been a big Tim Thomas fan, sure I enjoy watching his highlights, however, in todays game positioning is everything and that has never been one of his strong suits. I realize that Thomas just signed an extension but I believe that Rask might be ready to take over the starters job. I say trade Thomas now for a capable backup and a nice two-way player to help kill penalties and take some of the defensive responsibilities off of the younger players. I have faith that Boston will turn it around. They definitely have the resources, in the form of draft picks, to save this season and continue the teams growth for future years.

Lastly, it is good to see Bergeron playing better after all the injuries he has suffered. I didn't have him on my Team Canada olympic roster but it was still a good choice.

Stewart Brothers Going Separate Ways?

I still remember when the Florida Panthers selected Anthony Stewart in 2003 (25th overall). They had already chosen Nathan Horton (3rd overall), and I sat there watching thinking to myself that Florida was about ready to become a real threat in the league. Weiss at centre, Bouwmeester on defense, Luongo in net, and now their two power forwards playing the wing. Unfortunately for Florida and Anthony it didn't turn out that way. Anthony just hasn't seem to fit into the NHL. On the other hand, Anthony's brother Chris, who is 2 years his junior, has arrived in the NHL and making a major impact with the young and talented Colorado Avalanche. I find it crazy to think about the careers these two are having. In 2004, after Anthony had been drafted, he was able to land Chris a tryout with his OHL team, the Kingston Frontenacs. Chirs was able to make it out of training camp as part of the team, and in fact, was drafted in 2006 (18th overall) by the Colorado Avalanche. What I find strange is that both brothers play the same 'power forward' style of game as both are around 6'2 and 225 pounds, but unfortunately for Anthony that is where the similarities end. Anthony appears as though he may be doomed to be a career minor leaguer, while Chris seems ready to put his mark in the league as a major power forward.



Cormier In A Corner

I don't know about anyone else, but I am embarrassed that Cormier wore the 'C' for Canada at the World Junior Championships. The elbow he threw last week, which left an opponent on the ice convulsing was enough to make me sick. This hit made the Mike Richards-David Booth hit look clean. This guy hit two opponents during the WJC with dirty hits too. The one against Sweden was very similar to the one he recently threw. When I saw the Sweden hit I thought for sure he would miss games and to my amazement he received nothing. Liambis got suspended the remainder of this season, and I believe Cormier should receive double that. In fact, I believe that the AHL should up hold any suspension the QMJHL decides on. Players who make life threatening hits like this, and 2 were in the span of less then a month, have no place in hockey.

Turn Down Turco

I have been reading, seeing (in the forums of this site) and hearing the buzz regarding the trading of Turco. I have read some suggestions and possibilites that make my head spin, both for those thinking they might be a good idea, or if in fact Joe Nieuwendyk is even considering them. I agree that Dalls needs to move him and is in desperate need of some young goalie prospects. Some of these crazy suggestions include him heading to Atlanta for the likes of Ondrej Pavelec. Who in their right mind would do this deal?!?! Hedberg is doing fine as a backup for Atlanta. Atlanta has no need for Turco. In addition, they still have to see what they have with Lehtonen. Hopefully, he still has some trade value with the emergence of Pavelec. Teams that I would imagine who might be interested in Turco, for some veteran help down the stretch in case their goaltending faulters, are Nashville (Could trade Ellis or Rinne for Turco and a solid roster player), Minnesota (May as well get something worthwhile for Harding), St.Louis, Phoenix, Los Angeles and maybe Washington. All these trades would be best made by the deadline as the majority of teams named are not locks for the playoffs. Plus the Turcos salary and cap hit would be minimal. After this season though I think Turco is done as a starter in the NHL. I could only see Turco going to a team looking for a veteran backup for the playoffs, however, if you're looking at Turco as your starter for this year or for next year, give your head a shake. Turco was once a very solid keeper, however, those days are gone. If he continues his career after his contract expires it should be and probably will be as a backup.

Thanks for reading and whatever became of Robert Reichel?

No comments:

Post a Comment