Monday, January 18, 2010

On My Mind


On My Mind

I know there is alot of time left in the season and things could definitely change come the trade deadline, however, since last weeks column I have been thinking of who I would pick to win the cup. Most years I have not had a problem picking (whether correct or not), however, I can't seem to pinpoint an odds on favourite as every team I look at has a major hole that I can't look past. For the record at the start of the year I really thought the acquisition of Pronger and signing of Emery would give the Flyers a solid chance at winning the Cup this year. Unfortunately, they haven't received the proper goaltending with the inconsistent play of Emery and his recent injury woes. My reason for the pick was their depth up front and on the back end. If they can get their goaltending issues addressed (Halak anyone?) I like my pre-season prediction.

Here's a look at the other contenders and why I have problems picking them to win the hardest trophy to win in all sports!!

The following teams are in no specific order.

From the West:

San Jose
Good depth up front (especially with Marleau kick starting his game), decent goaltending, however, I don't see the depth on defense for a stretch run and why should anyone have the faith in them with their past playoffs woes?

Chicago
Again a team with great depth up front, however, unlike San Jose, Chicago does have good defensive depth, its their goaltending I have concerns about and with Huets contract I find it hard to believe they'll be able to upgrade it. Hopefully Huet turns it on come playoff time or Niemi is able to grab the reins.

Calgary
Kipper is playing amazing, looking like he is playoff ready now. The acquisition of Bouwmeester in the off season I think gives Calgary possibly the top defense in the league. Crazy to think that for years it was the secondary scoring that gave Flames fans head aches, however, now that Bourque is providing it, Iginla isn't being the primary offensive weapon, which he has in recent years.

Hopefully fans from other top teams in the West, such as Phoenix, Colorado and Nashville are not upset because of their omission, however, I don't see any chance of these teams seriously competing for the Stanley Cup this season.


From The East:

Washington
Unlike some teams I would omit for having more than one concern, I have included Washington as a contender. As of right now I don't believe they have the goaltending or defense to win it all. They have enough fire power up front to push other teams, however, unless they improve their goaltending and defense (by adding another solid rearguard) they'll be lucky to make it past the 2nd round for a second straight year.


New Jersey
Hard for some to imagine, but I believe that as of right now New Jersey would have the best chance of representing the Eastern Conference in the Finals. They have great goaltending as well as great depth on forward. There only weakness really is on defense. I would like to see them add a top defenseman if they truly want to compete, however, I give them the best chance due to their style of play. They play such a group defensive game that not having an all-star defenseman doesn't hinder them as much as other teams.

Boston
Boston probably has the most well-rounded team in the entire league. They have a Norris winner anchoring the blue line in Zdeno Chara as well as great depth up front, in addition to Vezina trophy winner Tim Thomas. Hopefully their early season inconsistencies are behind them. It's hard to imagine, although Thomas is a the reigning Vezina winner he is the weakest part of the team.

Pittsburgh
Last but not least the defending champions. I think it is hard to ever argue that a team carrying both Crosby and Malkin would not have a good shot at taking home the title. I just can't seem to understand how their defense is going to take them all the way. Losing a good penalty killer in Hal Gill and a great shutdown defenseman in Scuderi has to hurt. In addition, although there is no debating Fleury's great playoff run last year, I am not totally sold. I would like to see it again. Upfront I really like the grit they have to compliment Crosby and Ovechkin, as well as Jordan Staal.


Olympics

Id like to quickly point out something that is a bit of a concern. Everyone is all pumped for the olympics (including myself), however, I haven't heard many comments regarding how people's favourite teams are going to be effected going into the playoffs with an already condensed schedule. Many teams are going to enjoy the healing time they receive. A nice break with time for their players to recover from injuries or just day to day soreness if the don't have many, if any, players participating in the olympics, but what about teams whose key players are going over? As a fan of a team, is anyone concerned with their favourite team being worn out for the stretch run?

Mike Danton

I have to say something about Dantons acceptance and approval into St.Marys University. Good Luck. I don't know if Mike is going to end up getting another chance at the NHL level, however, if his abilities dictate he should then I fully support him getting another opportunity. This young man made a mistake, has an unfortunate past that is still not fully explored and has served his debt to society for that mistake. 5 years in prison. This wasn't one of those laid back “walk in the park” minimum security prisons. This is where the real bad guys go. Considering I have seen criminals get less time for doing much more and worse horrific acts, I belive Mr.Danton has paid more than enough for his actions.

And one last thing...whatever happened to Felix Potvin?

No comments:

Post a Comment