Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Olympic Gold!!!


On My Mind

What else would be on my mind? Maybe Canada winning Gold? Obvious. Before I get back to writing my weekly NHL columns I have to get one last post in regarding the Olympics. Sure Canada didn't get the most medals but considering after about a week we were sitting in 5th or 6th in the medal count and most analysts were suggesting that we wouldn't come anywhere near our medal goal they sure are singing a different tune now. I didn't hear too many people suggesting that we still had a chance to be top 3 in the medal count let alone breaking the winter Olympic record for Gold medals. Another thing, is it just me, but when the Olympics started I couldn't stand that 'Believe' theme song, but now I love it and loved watching when a Canadian athlete won a medal and they would play it to a montage of the athlete(s) competing.

On to the main event. GO CANADA GO!! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Congrats to the Olympic men's hockey team for their win last night. Sure, I don't think this is the biggest win in Canadian hockey, nor would I argue that Canada wasn't the favourite coming in, however, there is no debating (in my mind) that this wasn't the most competitive international tournament ever played. You had the obvious favourites in Canada, Russia and the defending Gold medalists Sweden, however, you could never count out Finland or the United States with Miller in goal. In addition, with the play of Slovakia and the Czech Republic they showed they aren't slowing down and are in fact only getting better in developing their players. Plus, one had to be impressed with the heart Switzerland showed. I have to say, although just about everyone (including myself) suggested the U.S. would go as far as Ryan Miller could take them (and he did play amazing), but the rest of their team played really well and probably better than most analysts thought they would. In fact, my prediction for the next olympics (as long as NHLers participate) is another Canada vs U.S. showdown. I think Russia will definitely be a force to be reckoned with, but with Sweden and Finland getting older the top teams will definitely be shifting, with possibly Slovakia and the Czech Republic replacing them in the 'Favourites' category.

Back to reality...Can't say I'm that disappointed though, cause one of my favourite times of the year is nearly upon us...Trade deadline day!!! Super exciting, and I am very interested in seeing what moves are made. Especially this year as there seem to be alot more teams than usual in the hunt for playoff spots. I want to see who will be sellers and who feel like they can make one last push to the playoffs.

Hope everyone enjoyed the Olympics and we're not done yet. If last years playoffs were any indication, the best hockey of the year may yet to have come.

Thanks for reading...And hey, whatever became of Valeri Bure?

No comments:

Post a Comment