Monday, March 15, 2010

To Suspend Or Not To Suspend That Is The Question....


On My Mind

Suspensions are the hot button debate on radio programs, television shows and message boards everywhere. I find it terribly unfortunate that there is so much discussion regarding penalties and suspensions. Hockey is a fantastic game that no other sport can match. It combines skill, stamina, strength, toughness and teamwork in order to accomplish your objective of scoring more goals than your opposition. I would rather talk about trades, awards, playoffs, and which team is the best but since we're on the topic, I'm going to chime in with what I think.

Should Cooke have been suspended? Yes and no. I think there should have already been a rule in place so that Richards and Cooke both would have been suspended, however, according to the rule book, because both players kept their elbows tucked and led with their shoulders, technically they didn't throw an illegal hit. Similar to the unsportsmanlike conduct rule, which was implemented right after Avery waved his stick in front of Brodeurs face during the playoffs, the NHL and NHLPA need to act immediately to implement a rule so that these hits are no longer legal. I'll be the first guy to encourage playing hard and I love a big hit, however, I'm not going to cheer or encourage hits that leave players unconscious or convulsing on the ice.

Ovechkin suspension fair? I would say yes. I already stated that I predicted that he would get between 2-4 games (I was leaning closer to 2 games) as the hit wasn't quite as bad as the Lapierre one, however, still no matter how great a player is for the league (and I am a huge fan of Ovechkin) you can't let these hits go unpunished. I was relieved to see Ovechkin get a suspension though. I think people were starting to get restless after there was no suspension handed to Cooke.

On to better things

It looks like Stamkos will finish with around 90 points this year. I thought he would have a good year this year but I predicted that he would be a point per game guy. Breaking the 90 point barrier in only his second year is incredible and no easy task. If Tampa Bay were to make the playoffs he should definitely garner some Hart votes, however, if they don't leave him off the ballot. I'm a firm believer that MVP candidates should be required to be on a playoff team. How valuable is a player if their team doesn't make the playoffs? If your team doesn't make it then it really doesn't matter how close you were. Speaking of the Lightning, I had them making the playoffs last year as I thought last year was the team working on chemistry issues and battling through poor goaltending. I guess Mike Smith just isn't as good as I thought he was.

How good are the Detroit Red Wings playing recently? Since their injured players have come back they have looked awesome. Plus, Howard has also looked awesome for the majority of the season. I will admit that I was one of the skeptics who thought Howard would never materialize into that number one keeper after looking average for the majority of his AHL career. So far this year he has made me eat my words. There will definitely be some teams who wish they took advantage of Detroit's injury woes while they had the chance. Saying all this, do you think they'll make the playoffs? It's going to come down to Calgary and Detroit and while I have made it clear I like the make up of Calgary's team, I don't know if they'll be able to keep Detroit out. If Detroit does make it, I feel sorry for the number one seed in the West.

For years, people have stated that the Western Conference has been stronger than the East. This year is no different and if you're looking for proof just look at the true contenders from each conference. In the East you have the Penguins, Capitals and Devils, while in the West you have the Sharks, Blackhawks, Canucks, Coyotes (with their recent play) and Kings. On top of that, who knows what could happen if Detroit makes the playoffs. And if they do and beat anyone, would it really be considered an upset?

Thanks for reading....And whatever became of Steve Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment