Monday, March 8, 2010

Trade Deadline Duh...


On My Mind

The Trade Dealine
Like many people I spent las Wednesday sitting in front of the television and surfing the internet looking for the latest rumours and trades, only to be left with a feeling of disappointment. Not only because of the lack of big names involved in trades (aware that names such as Phaneuf and Kovalchuk were dealt prior to the olympic break), but also because I am surprised at how some teams stood pat with what they have.

I'm sure it's been overdone but here are some of my thoughts...

Washington did great!! Walker and Belanger are amazing additions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is players like Walker who are major pieces in winning championships. Sure Malkin did have a great playoff last year but Talbot was incredible. Not only did he score the two goals in the final game but the Carcillo fight was a huge turning point in the Flyers-Penguins series. Unlike some people I am not as worried about goaltending, although I am surprised that they didn't try and get a top tier defensive defenseman, which I have mentioned I thought they needed. Corvo was a great pickup but I thought they could really use that 'shutdown defenseman'. I see this team definitely making some noise in the playoffs.

Penguins made some solid moves. Again, like Washington, I thought they could have used a defensive defenseman, as Rob Scuderi, was a key component in their defense last year, but Leopold is a solid depth defenseman and I think Ponikarovsky will fit in nicely on the second line.

The Devils obviously made their big splash before the deadline with Kovachuk, however, as I mentioned in a previous column, I really thought they needed another solid defenseman. Hamhuis would have been perfect, but I suppose after dealing for Kovalchuk they just weren't willing to deal anymore prospects or draft picks. I am a big Brodeur fan, and have gone on record saying that their great goaltending and defensive system will ease the pain of their lack of defensive depth, however, I think one more good defenseman would have put them over the top.

The Flyers did nothing. No clue what they are thinking. There are a select few teams, such as the Sharks, who were quite capable of doing nothing and look great going into the playoffs, however, the Flyers are not one of those teams. I read analysts suggesting that they needed another solid defensman...Come on! Sure everyone wants some depth but the second they knew Emery (who I thought might be barely good enough to get them to the finals) is gone for the season you have to make a deal for a goaltender! Leighton? Sure, he has played great since being acquired on re-entry waivers, but are you seriously going to bank on a goalie, who you claimed off waivers, to carry you through the playoffs? It's unfortunate because I really thought this team had a chance to compete with the big boys in the Eastern Conference. Now? Not a chance.

Boston. Obviously, hey didn't do much, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I definitely thought they didn't get enough for Morris. Not that he is an all-star, but if guys like Moore and Sutton are getting 2nd rounders, then you would think Morris would be worth more than only a 4th. Here's my thinking. Sure, they need scoring help, but I didn't see any moves out there that would put this team back into contention this year. I really thought Boston should have sold off a few more assets like Recchi and Thornton (not that you would get too much for either) and prepare for next year. This team still has a solid YOUNG nucleus. I don't see the point of trying for it this year as there are too many concerns in the lineup. I heard people saying they should package a first rounder and Ryder to get his contract off the books. Why? He has one year left. If anything, with the emergence of Rask, they should be trying to get rid of Thomas. In any case, deal with it, and hopefully this year you get two top 10 picks in the draft, both of which could equate to really good players. Right now it appears that Boston management is content with being a fringe playoff team. Not sure why, as it will be a short lived playoff run for the Bruins this year. The injury to Savard (and I say this in nicest way possible, as I love Savard dating back to when he played for the Generals) might be a blessing in disguise. This team may as well pack in this year and Savard's injury (hopefully it isn't too bad though) might do the trick to have this team fall further down the standings.

In my opinion, the Canucks did not do enough. Alberts wasn't the answer on defense. Although there was talk that Vancouver needed more depth on forward (I was one of the critics), I am not as worried about it anymore and think the defense is the real question mark. If Mitchell is unavailable for the playoffs, I really don't think this team has the depth to make a real run. One thing they do have going for them is that they are still young and should be in the mix for atleast the next 5 years.

I don't think there is much doubt that Phoenix made the biggest splash at the deadline. Wolski and Morris are great additions for this team. Sure Morris is more offensively gifted than defensively, but I have always been a fan and think that his addition can only help. As of right now, Phoenix would be playing LA, although Colorado is right near them, which is unfortunate because all three teams are great stories this year.

Lastly, I would like to talk about Carolina. Obviously they made some moves, but why do they still have Ray Whitney? I'm not sure whether it was him not getting his extension or if Rutherford did not like the offers coming in but I hope for his sake that it was the extension holding up a deal. I know some are suggesting that it's fine because Whitney could re-sign with them but I have no idea where the logic is there. Carolina has some great pieces in Sutter, Ward and Staal but realistically, they won't be able to really compete for another couple of years. Thus, there is no need for Whitney, for the rest of this year or for the next couple of years, as he is 37 right now and won't be of any benefit in 2 years. Who cares if the deal being offered isn't the greatest, although I'm positive they were offered atleast a 1st round pick. I would have had no problem with Rutherford even not trading him until 2:55 pm trying to put the pressure on other teams, however, I see no reason in not trading him. Something is always better than nothing.

One last thing. I am aware of I have mentioned previously in this column that teams are young and will still being able to compete for years to come, but I think that the slogan “win now, while you have the opportunity” applies presently more than ever before. The league is so good and parity is so widespread that hoping for next year might equal to not being in the playoffs. Hopefully, there are teams who stood by and watched the deadline pass by, while doing no trading, who won't be regretting it this time next year.

Thanks for reading....And hey, whatever became of Rico Fata?

No comments:

Post a Comment